Show staff replies in this thread
9th January 2020 18:15:14 GM Shadow View post »
Warrior Da Pesada
Player

Elysium
Level 186
Warrior
9th January 2020 16:57:47

Hello all, today I’d like to talk about Brewing/Gathering.

As we all know, it got better through the years (those who lived gathering/brewing 1.0 will know better about it), but I think that there are some important points that could use some revamps and I think this would be a nice time to show new ideas to it. Also, I will show my opinions on every item and show the changes I’d like to see on them, and I’d like to know what you guys think about it too, and how you would like gathering/brewing to be.

I will start with Gathering, trying to address each gatherable item at a time. So, let’s go!

Carrot: Ok, now this is the first gatherable item you’ll have contact with in the game. It is used to show you how gathering works. Nice idea and well implemented. Not much to say about this one. But it would be interesting to add some more utility to them besides what we have now. It could be sold to some NPC in Eidos (1-2gp or so), use them as a “coin” to get some daily newbie rewards/experience, and that way you would make newcomers more interested on gathering.

Four-Leaf Clover: Well, this is the item required to brew literally every potion in the game. So, in my opinion, if this item is so vital to the brewing system, we should have a few more spawns of it in the game and/or increase its spawn rate and reduce the number of poisonous mushrooms, because the ones we have right now are not enough if you consider how much we need this item. Other option instead of creating new spawns would be to change the formulas of the potions, making them not mandatory to all potions.

Sugar Beet: It is required to brew 8 of the 10 potions available in the game, so it is as important as Four-Leaf Clover. The recent changes in the southern spawn in Ellaria were very welcome and needed, well done on excluding those Imps from that spawn. However, the northern spawn in Ellaria was forgotten by the exorcist, and there are still Imps there. It would be interesting if the northern spawn was a mirror of the southern spawn in terms of size and number of beets. Also, the spawns in Lyedel/Gulshan Village could use a little revamp to become useful, because nowadays I think that few people stop by and gather Sugar Beets there. If anyone does, please let me know.

Desert Flower: It is required to brew 2 (of the most important) of the 10 potions available in the game, Life Steal and Magic Defense Potion. There is not much to say about this one. The spawn we have is ok in number of items, considering it takes a bit longer to gather than the ones above and that it is used to brew only 2 potions. However, I only know about 1 spawn in the whole map. Does anyone know if there are other spawns?

Celery: It is required to brew one specific potion in the game, which is Expertise Potion. It makes me wonder why it is used to brew only 1 of the 10 potions available, but let’s talk about its spawn first. The spawn is almost ok, but it could use a fourth camp just like the 3 we already have to make it faster to gather. When I go there, the spawn seems not to be enough (it could be my skill, but I still think 1 more camp could help). Now about its use in the game, it’s just too specific, just like Elvish Onion that I’ll talk about in a moment.

Elvish Onion: Basically the same issue as above, but used to brew Expertise Potion and Experience Potion. Why in the world would you use 2 items in the game only for a specific potion? I mean, Expertise is a very useful potion, but come on, we don’t really need it to be like that. Now about the spawn…. It’s just the worst gathering spawn I’ve ever seen. I tried to gather there a few times, but man…. I just lost my patience, the spawns are just awful. I mean, they are all far from each other, and in each spawn you’ll find like 10 Elvish Onions maximum, no more than 10. And having to walk and kill Shadow Elves/Dark Elves to gather just 10 Onions is just stupid. Please change this one ASAP, because it’s just impossible to use it as it is. On the Dark Elves floor, please make all the spawns 10x, and for the Shadow Elves spawns, make it 20-25 at least. I don’t even care that much about killing them or walking, but the number of items in the spawn is really important. If anyone have a different opinion on this one, let me know.

Dragon Egg: Considering what I know about this item, it’s only used for a quest, so I won’t talk much about it. I only have one question, what is it spawn rate? Because sometimes I see the nests and they are empty and the spawn time seems really random to me. Shouldn’t they have a fixed spawn time?

Warg Chamomile: An item used to brew a single potion, however, this time it’s a high level potion, which is Anti Paralyze Potion. Well, considering its specific use, is even acceptable that the Chamomile spawns are not big, but come on, I was exploring the Warg spawns in Ellaria and it was as disappointing as Elvish Onion if not more. A few flowers scattered around the Warg mountains.

Orknie Celery: An item used to brew 2 potions, Anti Paralyze and Haste Potion. Ok, a high gathering level item used to brew a high level potion and a not so high level potion. However, guarded by one of the most annoying creatures possible, Orknie Archmages. As if it wasn’t enough, the spawns are scattered (the few I have seen on that map at least). Is it really necessary to be killing Archmages to get that item? I mean, Enchanters/Riders would be already fine if you ask me. Also, the spawns could be a bit more concentrated/organized just like regular Celery camps.

Dragon Chicory: Well, my only knowledge about this item is the video posted on zezhub about its spawn, so I don’t even have anything to say about the spawns, however, always consider the same as above, organized respawns will always be appreciated. Now about its use, it’s used to brew only one potion, which is Haste Potion. In my opinion, it should be used for the higher level potions (skill 50 and above), it could be easily changed by Elvish Onion or Celery for the Haste Potion.

Volcanic Horseradish: Well, about this one I have to admit that my knowledge is 0 about the spawns, all I know is that it’s located at Volcanic Golems. If anyone knows anything about the spawns, if it’s good or not, enlighten me please. Now about its use, it’s used to brew the 2 highest level potions in the game, Experience Potion and Anti Paralyze Potion. For this one I guess I’m ok with the numbers if the spawns are enough. Won’t complain about what I don’t know.

I think that this covers all the gatherable items we have right now.

I’d really like to talk about new potions suggestions too, but I’ll have to leave it for another day because this post is getting too long already.

Now talking about how things are right now for brewing/gathering, I’d like to point out a few changes to the potions that would be very welcome in my opinion:

Light Potion: Maybe a reduction to 6 Four Leaf Clovers? It’s just my opinion, but I don’t see reason for it to be 7. Won’t be that sad if it doesn’t change though
Gathering Speed/Life Steal/Magic Defense: In my opinion, the only 3 potions that are really ok. Wouldn’t change anything on these 3. Next.

Expertise Potion: As expected if you’ve read until this point, I’d obviously change its ingredients. Come on, it’s a skill 16 potion, lower than Magic Defense Potion and way harder to brew. Could easily eliminate Elvish Onion from the recipe (or reduce to 1-2 per ampoule).

Haste Potion: Considering it’s a mid-skill potion, Orknie Celery could be changed for regular celery and make the Dragon Chicory the hard item for this one.

Luck Potion: Considering its effect in the game, I think it’s fair enough for it to be as it is. Maybe a slight reduction on the number of Sugar Beets to match the number of Four-Leaf Clovers, but no more than that.

Anti-Paralyze Potion: Sincerely, I don’t know why it requires such a high skill to brew it considering its effect. It’s too specific in my opinion. However, since it’s not a game changing matter, I won’t even worry about this one.

Experience Potion: All the items but Elvish Onion seems ok to me, maybe a change for Warg Chamomile and an addition of regular Celery to compensate? Well, since it’s a potion that only a few people can brew in the game, maybe it’s not that much important…

Wow! That was a long post, sorry for that, but I felt like I needed to bring this issue to light.

Guys, please let me know your opinions about gathering/brewing in the game and what you think it could be changed to make it better for the community.

Please keep it a clean discussion!

If there’s some mistake in the numbers, name it and I’ll fix it.

If any admin is reading it, I’d like to ask if Gathering/brewing is on any of your plans for the next patch?

Have a Nice day! Thanks for reading.

Warrior Da Pesada
GM Shadow
Game Master

9th January 2020 18:15:14 (Last edited 9th January 2020 18:18:29)

Quite the post :)

To quickly answer your question: Yes! There are already plans for some changes/additions to gathering and brewing! The system as a whole is too tedious for our liking and could use some updates.

A couple additions I won't spoil here...:P but,
Some possible changes to the basic gathering may be less clicking by gathering more than 1 'plant' at a time, fewer ingredients required to brew certain potions, removal of the wait time while brewing "boiling...", etc.

We are always happy to hear more suggestions and appreciate such a detailed post.
Warrior Da Pesada
Player

Elysium
Level 186
Warrior
9th January 2020 18:51:55

Quoting GM Shadow:
Quite the post :)

To quickly answer your question: Yes! There are already plans for some changes/additions to gathering and brewing! The system as a whole is too tedious for our liking and could use some updates.

A couple additions I won't spoil here...:P but,
Some possible changes to the basic gathering may be less clicking by gathering more than 1 'plant' at a time, fewer ingredients required to brew certain potions, removal of the wait time while brewing "boiling...", etc.

We are always happy to hear more suggestions and appreciate such a detailed post.

Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear that it's in the plans. I'll be gladly waiting for it!
Nelvam Guilherme
Player

Elysium
Level 927
Warrior
11th January 2020 02:08:59

seizing the moment, how about a new portion that would increase stamina? would encourage some players and move our market even further :smartass: