1 2 3
Askja
Premium

Elysium
Level 718
Warrior
30th September 2023 08:22:35

Let's try again to see if something can be done to solve those 2 problems of paladins :

- In mid/late game, there is a huge unbalance of exp/h between paladins and barbarians (although some people still think there is not, or pretend it for some hidden reasons). Just look the player list and you'll immediatly remark that high level paladins are simply disappearing from the game.

- Nowadays, many players gained in tankiness (we see warlocks tanking physically 2 or 3 mobs and a huge pack behind, we see 300+ rangers tanking Diroth :P), and together with bad exp/h of paladins, it means that paladins are not really useful anymore in party, and it has been reported several times than in many cases partying with a paladin do *decrease* the exp of shooters ...:/

Instead of simply raise damage of paladins, I would like to adress this audacious proposal.

New spell BLOW UP :
- instant spell, cooldown 30s
- during 5 seconds, each of the 5 "cleave tiles" (3 in front of player, 2 on the sides) can accept 2 stacked mobs (but the mobs can ofc move if there is free space around player).
- after 5 seconds, stacked mobs can stay stacked, but no other double mob can occur if one of them die.

Comments :
- the typical situation is the following : during a wall walk, if paladin is facing more than 5 mobs, he "blows up" to face more and therefore enlarge his AoE, therefore also helping shooters (if in party) not to be attack and to have better AoE too.
- it could also help paladin to really take advantage of HC (I noticed personnally that HC are NOT good exp zone for me, I get more exp tanking well choosen 5 high level mobs ...)
- the 5 seconds intervall is to give new mobs the time to take tiles. Also, if eg a ghould stacks, it is killed fast and another more interesting mob can take place.
- if 5 tiles is too much, maybe only 3 tiles, or even a random numbers of tiles between 2 and 5 ?
- this spell may require a bit of thinking, to be used with brain, making gameplay more interesting, and giving the possibility to die by player's fault instead of being "always immortal"
- due to above point, it won't help much low level paladins, but more high level ones as intended

With the same kind of ideas a variation of "BLOW UP" could be :

New spell PHANTOM WALL :
- instant spell, cooldown 30s
- all 3 mobs behind players are teleported in the "5 cleave tiles" zone, stacking if necessary with other mobs already there.
- during 10 seconds, a phantom wall prevent mobs in the "5 cleave tiles" zone from going back the player.
- but any time a new mob can take a tile behind player.
Poke In Your Eye
Player

Elysium
Level 50
Warrior
30th September 2023 09:32:04

Interesting idea with this "blow up" spell. I would add paralyze for mobs under this spell, because when one of the tiles will be empty due killing, it will be almost immediately taken by one of the stacked monsters (like imps do). But its just the detail.

Cleave is a nice spell and i think many paladin players like the wall-walking style of hunting, but when it comes to party hunt with many monsters, it shows all of the flaws. Paladin as a tank profession should stay in the middle of the fight, surrounded by monsters, to keep them targeted on him, not the rangers/mages.
Maybe introducing a new spell which can attracts mobs and keep them targeted on paladin, or preventing to target on other in party (something like 'challenge' spell in tibia), with a large area could restore usefulness for paladins.
Askja
Premium

Elysium
Level 718
Warrior
30th September 2023 10:50:35 (Last edited 30th September 2023 10:54:05)

Quoting Poke In Your Eye:
I would add paralyze for mobs under this spell, because when one of the tiles will be empty due killing, it will be almost immediately taken by one of the stacked monsters (like imps do)

Good point. Or maybe it would be enough to allow stacking and force mobs to stay stacked, during let's say 10 sec.

Quoting Poke In Your Eye:
Maybe introducing a new spell which can attracts mobs and keep them targeted on paladin, or preventing to target on other in party (something like 'challenge' spell in tibia), with a large area could restore usefulness for paladins.

Yep, this was proposed several times before (I remember one player called it "Provoke" or something like that), but if it will help teamates not to be attacked it won't help (or very few) in raising exp, nor solo paladin.

The core of my idea is definitively "stacking mobs" which has both advantage. Sure we could add attraction to "Blow up" to insure stacking is achieved.
Yhwach
Player

Elysium
Level 352
Ranger
30th September 2023 17:47:07

Dude comments that I'm able to tank Diroth at lvl 315, but he forgot to mention it took me 30+ minutes to kill the elite one lmao
Yhwach
Player

Elysium
Level 352
Ranger
30th September 2023 17:48:54

He also forgot to mention how many hp flasks i had to use in order to properly tank diroth LMAO
Yhwach
Player

Elysium
Level 352
Ranger
30th September 2023 19:03:53

Just to be clear, i'm replying this just bcuz i think that the fact i could tank Diroth is actually irrelevant to the discussion you're bringing (and the whole paladin problem), also, Diroth is not a hard hitting mob, he's actually ridiculously easy, its healing is the real problem here.
Disturbed Maverick
Player

Elysium
Level 208
Warrior
30th September 2023 19:34:22

Great proposal !

I would like to suggest some changes:

- Change the duration of 5 or 10 seconds for a New Second Buff to be used constantly with 10 or 20 minutes of duration as warlocks use 2 buffs all the time:

1° Absorbing aura (24% negation of damage - 4 minutes and 30s of duration);

2° Dark Gathering (more Hp steal - 20 minutes of duration).

Warlocks are the only subclass that has 2 buffs to be used this way.

So the paladin could use the fortification and this new buff together benefiting his main focus/goal of being a tank.

- Make this new buff allow the limit of 2 monsters to accumulate in each SQM around the paladin (spell caster). Therefore, the maximum limit will be 16 stacked monsters.

- If the player clicks on the spell again the buff could be deactivated. This way the player can also avoid being blocked by more monsters than he is capable of tank if he knows how to use this buff properly.

- Requirement of higher magic level (maybe ml 15 or 16) for more experienced paladins.
Askja
Premium

Elysium
Level 718
Warrior
30th September 2023 20:11:22

Quoting Coreano Awk:
Just to be clear, i'm replying this just bcuz i think that the fact i could tank Diroth is actually irrelevant to the discussion you're bringing (and the whole paladin problem), also, Diroth is not a hard hitting mob, he's actually ridiculously easy, its healing is the real problem here.

Of course, the only relevant part was to illustrate my words "players gained tankiness" with spring update.

But with its healing power, Diroth can also serves as an example of paladin weak damage and perfect unbalance of the game : with 200 more levels than you, better gear, better skills, I simply can't kill Diroth solo, in 5 or 30 or 300 minutes ...

@Disturbed Maverick : what you propose is drastically different, and being continuously able to hit 16 stacked mobs, including 10 mobs with cleave, is obviously a far too huge buff and would raise exp/h with non sense.

That's why I'm only prudently proposing to be able to cleave 7 to 10 mobs during a few seconds each 30 seconds.
Disturbed Maverick
Player

Elysium
Level 208
Warrior
30th September 2023 20:21:14

Quoting Askja:

@Disturbed Maverick : what you propose is drastically different, and being continuously able to hit 16 stacked mobs, including 10 mobs with cleave, is obviously a far too huge buff and would raise exp/h with non sense.

That's why I'm only prudently proposing to be able to cleave 7 to 10 mobs during a few seconds each 30 seconds.

I understood your point. But wouldn't it be simpler to propose changing the cleave to 8 sqm? Reinforcing the role of tanking for paladins.
Yhwach
Player

Elysium
Level 352
Ranger
30th September 2023 20:41:03 (Last edited 30th September 2023 20:57:52)

Quoting Askja:

Of course, the only relevant part was to illustrate my words "players gained tankiness" with spring update.
But with its healing power, Diroth can also serves as an example of paladin weak damage and perfect unbalance of the game : with 200 more levels than you, better gear, better skills, I simply can't kill Diroth solo, in 5 or 30 or 300 minutes ...

Tks for making my point even clearer, easy boss to tank vs 1st or 2nd best single target dps on the game OVER easy boss to tank vs worst dps in the game

Paladins are not made to do what i did, you just have to level up further the mob "lvl range" in order to tank anything in this game, cuz health and defenses are static and won't change over any other facts. Damage depends on rotating cooldowns properly, having what to cast in order to keep up with the damage, and paladin IS NOT made for that. Thanks for bringing up the point that rogues are meant to do high damage per second and paladins are meant to tank the whole world with ease

Edit: Stop using irrelevant scenarios to compare stuff, we all know ppl hate paladins nowdays and it could really use some help, but get the facts straight dude, paladins have a role in the game that was never reinforced, now they did it and ppl need to get used to it. Unfortunately staff won't make it up for paladins (and shamans that are really forgotten and useless in the game for the last 12 years or so except for wars), but trying to compare the tankiest class to one of the highest single target dps in the game, is just nonsense and won't help you cause... And just to be clear, I'm about to drop rogue cuz i'm leveling a paladin :]
1 2 3